So now that the Super Bowl is over, there's already talk about the upcoming MLB season. Today, the MLB players union met to discuss the current sliding rules. Sources confirmed that they will, "get there" when asked about changing the rule.
The current rule states that the player has the right to break-up the double play ball by sliding away from the bag. After the Ruben Tejada (video above) and the Jung Ho Kang injuries this past year, many have voiced their opinions to change the rule.
I'm all for players safety, and I thought when they changed the running over the catcher rule it was the right thing to do. However, I feel differently about this one. Breaking up a double play has become part of the game of baseball. In fact, if it's done correctly, the fielder won't be in a defenseless position. I think two broken legs in one season is an anomaly, and certainly two unfortunate happenings. But you can't say that the rule should be changed that they have to slide directly into second no matter the situation.
A lot of talk, and the overall scale of the moment with the Chase Utley slide has given the players' union the wrong idea here. From a fans' perspective, you don't want to see players getting hurt, but you also don't want to see your players going soft. There is a fine line between what is a dirty slide and what isn't, and personally I thought the Utley slide was dirty. The MLB players union would be making a mistake if they go through with this, because it honestly takes something away from the game. Anywho, I need baseball season like I need air to breathe.
No comments:
Post a Comment