Search

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Time to Panic in Flushing?

The New York Mets are just eight days away from opening up their season on Sunday Night Baseball against the World Series champs, Kansas City Royals. Are they ready? Let's put it this way, if I was a betting man, which I am, I would not be picking this team that I have watched all spring to win the National League again, or the NL East, or a Wild Card spot, or even have a winning record at the end of September. Yes, it is only Spring Training. I get that. But these issues are not just shaking off the rust, or things that should be taken so lightly.

I don't even know where to begin, so let's start with that amazin' pitching staff that the Mets are now basically known for. Matt Harvey's last start was brutal, I mean BRUTAL. His mechanics were "out of whack", as he put it. Really?? You were just named our opening day starter and you are pitching one week from tomorrow and your mechanics are out of whack?? That is not okay, Matthew. Let's move to the #2 starter, Jacob DeGrom. We are used to seeing 96, 97, 98, even the occasional 99 on the radar gun from you, and you've been sitting comfortable at 90? 91? I know it is only March but Noah doesn't seem to have that problem. He just struck out nine Cardinals in six innings, sitting at 98 yesterday. He is pitching like it's August 1st, and your pitching concerns us so much, that a lot of us already have you written off as the next victim to get Tommy John surgery. We will see what happens next week, but man are you scaring us. I mentioned Noah Syndergaard, our #3 starter, he has been the ONLY silver lining to the Mets spring training thus far. He has become easily my favorite Met, he is exciting to watch, and in my opinion, he will have the best career out of the three pitchers I mentioned above. The Mets better keep him when it comes time to choose which one or two of the core four we have to lose. But let's get back to the problems...

Steven Matz does not have many MLB starts under his belt, and maybe all of us need to take a step back and realize that he still needs to develop. But I do not think it should get to the point that we are talking about sending him back down to Triple A. This kid established himself last season, and fits well as the #4 starter, but should not be performing so poorly that going back to the minor leagues is an option for him right now. And lastly, fan favorite, Bartolo Colon. He has simply just been inconsistent, which we can all expect from his as the #5 starter and also 42 years old I might add.

So if you're not concerned about the Mets at this point in time, take a step back and understand that everything you read above is about the Mets STARTING ROTATION, or also know as, the fate of this ball club.

I did not even get into the fact that Conforto is dealing with a stiff back, Duda is dealing with a stiff neck, Cespedes is dealing with a shoulder injury, Cabrera is rushing back for opening day and will probably be back on the DL by mid April, I can go on and on. How about the fact that Mets are basically expecting Lucas Duda to play 162 games this year at first base? Because we haven't given either catcher a start at first base, and Flores has only gotten one. These three guys are supposed to be our back up first basemen on the depth chart, and they are not playing the position at all in spring training. Isn't that what spring training is for? Flores said he felt "weird" playing the position yesterday! That's an issue, Terry! An issue that you should have been working on this entire spring. And lastly, there is David Wright, and he is a mystery. He might play 120 games, he might play 12. My guess, closer to 12.

I think the Mets would be on cloud nine if they come out of KC with a split of the two game series, before heading back home to face the Phillies. The Mets have a very favorable schedule in April, besides the first two games obviously, and I think will need a very strong start, similar to last season, in order to set the tone and establish themselves for the rest of the season. LGM!

No comments:

Post a Comment